X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICE drops arrest quotas for illegal immigrants

ICE drops arrest quotas for illegal immigrants
    By Anna Gorman Tribune Newspapers
    August 18, 2009
    The head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement announced Monday that he has ended quotas on a controversial program designed to target illegal immigrants who have ignored deportation orders.

John Morton, who took over as head of the federal agency in May, said during a meeting with reporters in Los Angeles that the program needs to do what it was created to do: target absconders who have had their day in court.

"The fugitive operations program needs to focus first and foremost on people who have knowingly flouted an Immigration removal order, and within that category, obviously we will focus first on criminals," he said.

Beginning in 2003, the agency dispatched teams around the United States to arrest and deport immigrants with criminal records and outstanding deportation orders. During publicized sweeps, armed agents showed up at homes and arrested tens of thousands of immigrants.

Immigrant-rights groups criticized the morning raids, saying they divided families and resulted in the arrests of many who had no criminal records or deportation orders.

A report by the Migration Policy Institute this year showed that 73 percent of the nearly 97,000 people arrested by those teams from 2003 to early 2008 did not have criminal records.

The report also showed that in 2006, the agency stopped requiring that two-thirds of those arrested be criminals and allowed the teams to include nonfugitives in their tally.

That same year, the teams were expected to increase their annual arrests from 125 to 1,000, the report said.

Morton said Monday that there was nothing wrong with targets but that hard quotas do not make sense.

"I just don't think that a law-enforcement program should be based on a hard number that must be met," he said. "I just don't think that's a good way to go about it. So we don't have quotas anymore."

Morton said he would continue enforcing the law against immigrants who have fought their cases and lost.

"It is important that the system have integrity," he said. "I am not signaling in any way that we are not going to enforce the law against noncriminal fugitives."

agorman@tribune.com

Ice

Big deal, ICE arrests about 1000 a month on a good month, while about 4400 invade our nation "every single day".
    Our brave ICE doesn't want to break up families, well they should keep their family in Mexico or where ever, and they can keep all the siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents and all together. I do not want them getting Dream Act reunification so the family is all together.

NOT one single Candidate for President (except Me) claimed they would protect our borders and deport all the illegals. We are told there are too many of them to deport. Well if our government had been protecting our borders the last 40 years, we would not have this problem.

NOW I ask you, WHY hasn't our government protected our borders?

There is a reason, it's called the North American Union. NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO, and all these other treaties to remove our Sovereignty and borders. Join the New World Order, throw away the Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

I'm one person, but I need your help to spread my message,( I'm getting over 1200 hits a week on my website, and this last week from 45 different nations.

I can't stop until we unelect Obama, and I become your president, to Restore America, not Change America. I do not want to Change our nation, I want to return our nation to that nation that had jobs for everyone, that the immigrants wanted to come here for a future. We do not seem to have any future at this moment.

IF we had more people at work, they would have Medical Insurance again. When we have about 20 million unemployed, underemployed, with about 2 million homeless, men women and CHILDREN, that's a disgrace.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Cordell
      Big deal, ICE arrests about 1000 a month on a good month, while about 4400 invade our nation "every single day".
      Our brave ICE doesn't want to break up families, well they should keep their family in Mexico or where ever, and they can keep all the siblings, aunts, uncles, grandparents and all together. I do not want them getting Dream Act reunification so the family is all together.

NOT one single Candidate for President (except Me) claimed they would protect our borders and deport all the illegals. We are told there are too many of them to deport. Well if our government had been protecting our borders the last 40 years, we would not have this problem.

NOW I ask you, WHY hasn't our government protected our borders?

There is a reason, it's called the North American Union. NAFTA, CAFTA, WTO, and all these other treaties to remove our Sovereignty and borders. Join the New World Order, throw away the Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

I'm one person, but I need your help to spread my message,( I'm getting over 1200 hits a week on my website, and this last week from 45 different nations.

I can't stop until we unelect Obama, and I become your president, to Restore America, not Change America. I do not want to Change our nation, I want to return our nation to that nation that had jobs for everyone, that the immigrants wanted to come here for a future. We do not seem to have any future at this moment.

IF we had more people at work, they would have Medical Insurance again. When we have about 20 million unemployed, underemployed, with about 2 million homeless, men women and CHILDREN, that's a disgrace.
      Weren't you in Maywood during the SOS protest?

Comment

EVERY illegal IS a CRIMINAL fugitive!

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎