Illegal immigrants and U.S. healthcare debate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal immigrants and U.S. healthcare debate

FACTBOX: Illegal immigrants and U.S. healthcare debate
    (Reuters) - The number of illegal immigrants in the United States who lack health insurance is a source of controversy in the debate over President Barack Obama's plan to overhaul the $2.5 trillion healthcare sector.
    Some of those opposed to Obama's effort accuse the government and media of undercounting illegal immigrants in order to inflate the total tally of uninsured Americans and make the need for reform more urgent.
    Critics also argue that healthcare costs are higher in the United States because illegal immigrants, who often lack insurance and don't pay taxes, drain precious healthcare dollars through trips to emergency rooms and clinics.
    Supporters of the Obama plan tend to dismiss the overall impact that illegal immigrants have on the healthcare sector.
    Here are some facts about illegal immigrants and healthcare in the United States:
    - There are 45.7 million people, or 15.3 percent of the U.S. population, who lack health insurance, according to the U.S. Census Bureau's Current Population Survey, which is based on 2007 data.
    - A total of 9.7 million among the uninsured said they were "not a citizen." Foreign students and workers legally in the country as well as illegal immigrants are included in this sub-group, according to Census Bureau researchers.
    - Census Bureau researchers are not allowed to ask respondents about their immigration status. Almost all estimates of the number of uninsured illegal immigrants are based on extrapolations from Census surveys.
    - There are 6.1 million uninsured adults who are illegal immigrants and 700,000 uninsured children who are illegal immigrants, according to an estimate by the non-partisan Pew Hispanic Center, which was based on Census data.
    - U.S. citizens accounted for the bulk of the 8.6 million additional people who reported joining the ranks of the uninsured between 2000 and 2006, according to survey data. Two million of these were non-citizens, while half a million were naturalized citizens.
    - Some 20 percent of adult citizens have been to an emergency room in the last year, compared to 13 percent of non-citizens adults.
    - Illegal immigrants work disproportionately in jobs that do not provide health insurance.
    - There is no widely accepted national estimate of the annual cost of healthcare for illegal immigrants, partly because hospitals do not collect immigration figures.
    The Federation for American Immigration Reform, which advocates a temporary moratorium on most immigration, puts the total cost at $10.7 billion and calls the estimate conservative.
    Sources: U.S. Census Bureau; Pew Hispanic Center; Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured; Center for Immigration Studies; Leighton Ku, professor of public health policy, George Washington University, Federation for American Immigration Reform, Migration Policy Institute
    (Writing by Matthew Bigg, editing by Paul Simao)

wake-up

The people disputing the need for reform in our health care system are bought and paid for by the insurance companies.
    You don't need to add the illegals into this mix, 98% of all minimum wage workers have no insurance and are offered no insurance that they can afford on such low wages, and you have an awful large population of people making $10 to $12 to $14 an hour that are offered no insurance also, even at that higher rate of pay a single parent would not be able to purchase insurance for their family.

Just another lie from the Conservatives.
    Just open your mind you can't help but see the true.

Comment

There is plenty of need for reform in our health care industry (I don't think anyone is going to argue against that premis), but Obamacare is not going to fix anything.

Illegals will be given carte blanc to health care under Obama's "plan"

Illegals either use the emergency room or scam Medical or The Healthy Families program.

Either way they are subsidized. Nothing is free, the costs are only shifted from illegals and their employer to tax payers and other users of the health care system.

Comment

Our pro-illegal leaders and institutions should be TAXED for supporting the illegals. THEY LIKE illegals SO much, THEY can PAY for the illegals' upkeep!

Comment

All those as fed up with the prospect of being handed yet another medical bill for illegal aliens, via the Obama healthcare scheme, as me are hereby cordially invited to join me and others in a public pissing and moaning (i.e. protest) exhibit this weekend:

Warning: In the eyes of some (mostly those who don't do jack anymore, if ever), this event might fall into the dreaded category of Goon Rally. All fake patriots, trouble makers and traitors are hereby urged to attend!

Protest Amnesty/Obama Health Care For Illegal Aliens
          SAVE AMERICA’S HOSPITALS

Join activists at a rally in front of the High Desert Valley Hospital to publicly denounce illegal immigration/and government health care for illegal aliens. STOP Illegal immigration – STOP Obama Health Care Tyranny -Save Our Tax Dollars

Bring Flags
          Signs will be available
          Petition to President Obama available for signature
          Petition to Desert Valley Hospital staff - calling for the staff to take action: Stop Obama Health Care
          Action Item Flyer For Passersby
          Date:
          Saturday, August 22

Time:
          6:00pm High Desert Sunset Rally

16850 Bear Valley Rd
          Victorville, CA 92395

For more information call: 760.508.4572
          Last edited by DerailAmnesty.com; 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Then what's the answer?

They're here illegally, if they're sick with an infectious disease and it goes untreated, they'll go on to spread infection to anyone . . . citizens alike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against the freebie's for illegals, but we're not a nation that will let people die in the streets.

So again, what's the answer?

Comment

Originally posted by BluHaven
              Then what's the answer?

They're here illegally, if they're sick with an infectious disease and it goes untreated, they'll go on to spread infection to anyone . . . citizens alike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against the freebie's for illegals, but we're not a nation that will let people die in the streets.

So again, what's the answer?

Deportation to their nations of origin. Let their home countries provide government funded medical services rather than the American taxpayers. Emergency services? Yes. However, hook up folks unlawfully in this country with free medical insurance? Why on Earth would we do that?
              Last edited by DerailAmnesty.com; 08-21-2009, 06:19 AM.

Comment

The crime of criminal trespass is handled by REMOVAL of the trespasser(s). ILLEGAL immigration is a form of criminal trespass and the legal procedure for it is REMOVAL in the form of DEPORTATION.

Comment

Originally posted by BluHaven
                  Don't get me wrong, I'm against the freebie's for illegals, but we're not a nation that will let people die in the streets
                  I know what you mean, but this is for the same healthcare that Americans get. Another draw for illegals we just don't need

Comment

Even if they may be dying in the streets, we would STILL have to deport them, we CANNOT TAKE CARE of EVERYONE on this planet!

Comment

The Health Department has always given free care such as shots to those in need with regards to communicable diseases. Those services have little to do with prenatal care and all the other free medical given to the illegals. There is a difference between protecting the public interest and screwing the public out of their tax dollars by giving the illegals complete medical.

Comment

Not long ago, a friend of mine had a bad bloody nose that wouldn't quit bleeding - it just came on out-of-the-blue. They drove to the E R and had to wait (and bleed) for over an hour. Within that time, they observed and "Spanish speaking family" step up to get their kids their basic inoculation shots. They got their shots while my friend was waiting (and still bleeding) in the E R.

Those kids shots could be done elsewhere, not the E R. There are only so many people on staff and this family took valuable time from those that were really ailing.

Yes, health care needs to be reformed with illegal immigration in mind (as well as employment, crime etc. What a cluster fk.

BTW - I thought I heard recently that the coverage for illegals was taken out of the bill, does anyone know?

Comment

It's in, and then it's out, and then in again. What stands out is that the votes to place something prohibitive specifically for illegals always end up nays from the same folks who say they won't get free healthcare under it

Comment

I'm happy to say that all this concerns about the illegals getting our health insurance at least in California are coming to an end,
                            Im on medcare and Medi-Cal but my wife is on insurance program to the counties in northern California called Y- chip she used to be able to get her insurance for six-month stretches but as of June 1 of this year you need to come in month by month and be recertify for this program, this is to weed out the illegals and none American off the program, and she was told that she would need to bring in her birth certificate soon and that other things would be added to help weed out the illegals .

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm happy to say that all this concerns about the illegals getting our health insurance at least in California are coming to an end,
                              Im on medcare and Medi-Cal but my wife is on insurance program to the counties in northern California called Y- chip she used to be able to get her insurance for six-month stretches but as of June 1 of this year you need to come in month by month and be recertify for this program, this is to weed out the illegals and none American off the program, and she was told that she would need to bring in her birth certificate soon and that other things would be added to help weed out the illegals .
                              I can't believe I am reading this. Don't let Boxer and Fienstein find out. Oh wait, that bunch in Sac are as bad or worse. I hope the law will hold.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎