• Show
Clear All

• Anchor Babies Could Collect Over $575 Million in Welfare

From The Santa Clarita Signal:

Source: Office of Supervisor Michael D. Antonivich
    Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, Fifth District
    Posted: Aug. 11, 2009 3:37 p.m.
    POSTED Aug. 11, 2009 5:20 p.m.

LOS ANGELES COUNTY - Figures from the Department of Public Social Services show that children of illegal aliens in Los Angeles County collected nearly $22 million in welfare and over $26 million in food stamps in June, according to county Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich.

Projected over a 12 month period, this would exceed $575 million.

Annually the cost of illegal immigration to Los Angeles County taxpayers exceeds $1 billion dollars, which includes $350 million for public safety, $400 million for health care, and $500 million in welfare and food stamps allocations.

Twenty-four percent of the county's total allotment of welfare and food stamp benefits goes directly to U.S.-born children of illegal aliens.

"Illegal immigration continues to have a catastrophic impact on Los Angeles County taxpayers," Antonovich said. "The total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers exceeds $1 billion a year - not including the millions of dollars for education."

If you can ever back Antoniovich please do so. He is the only one in LA who has ever said anything about how much money is spent on the Invaders.
    Last edited by Rim05; 08-13-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Anchor babies should get NOTHING from us, anchor babies are JUST as ILLEGAL as their OUTLAW OUTSIDER parents are!

Comment

I agree with you Rimo, Antoniovich is someone I would really like to meet and shake his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rim05
          If you can ever back Antoniovich please do so. He is the only one in LA who has ever said anything about how much money is spent on the Invaders.

Quite right. He stands out among "old school" LA politicians (Gloria Molina, Zev Yaroslavsky, etc.) for his candor about what this open borders mess is costing us.

Comment

Illegal immigration continues to have a catastrophic impact on Los Angeles County taxpayers," Antonovich said. "The total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers exceeds $1 billion a year - not including the millions of dollars for education."
            How exactly is welfare funded?

County, State, Federal, or a combination?

How much is actually extracted from county residents in any county form of taxation, such as property, sales, etc...

If LA county didn't have any illegal aliens collecting welfare or otherwise sucking up revenue, would that be a billion dollars extra in the county treasury, or would that be a billion dollars the county wouldn't be receiving from state or federal, flat no gain no loss?

I'm not making an argument, I'm just trying to understand how it works.
            Last edited by ilbegone; 08-15-2009, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ilbegone
              How exactly is welfare funded?

County, State, Federal, or a combination?

How much is actually extracted from county residents in any county form of taxation, such as property, sales, etc...

If LA county didn't have any illegal aliens collecting welfare, would that be a billion dollars extra in the county treasury, or would that be a billion dollars the county wouldn't be receiving from state or federal, flat no gain no loss?

I'm not making an argument, I'm just trying to understand how it works.
              Welfare is federally funded. The states comply with welfare reform that went into effect about ten years ago. But the counties distribute the money and paperwork to qualify. Those county offices are where the problems start.

Comment

Originally posted by kjl
                Welfare is federally funded. The states comply with welfare reform that went into effect about ten years ago. But the counties distribute the money and paperwork to qualify. Those county offices are where the problems start.
                Who actually determines how the money is dispersed and creates county policy as to who qualifies?

How much is written policy and how much is an unwritten "this is the way you will do it if you wish to remain employed by the county" despite written policy and federal law? What comes into mind is the fact that California allows extended welfare status much longer than federal rules allow. Also the resistance in the State Legislature that there will be no verification of citizenship in order to collect welfare.
                Last edited by ilbegone; 08-15-2009, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Counties are allowed some flexibility on how they set up programs, but the feds have issued them both guidelines and rules. The feds outreach program was designed precisely to get more people on food stamps.

Comment

Where does ultimate responsibility lie for the fraud which occurs?

I worked for a multi billion dollar company where a manager would work hard on next year's local budget to be presented to middle management for approval. The proposed budget would be sent back with the notification of areas where "improvement" needed to be made. By the time the proposal was bounced back and forth several times, it was a fraudulent work which improved the company's bottom line while bilking the customer base. And if there was ever an investigation by the appropriate authorities, guess who would be hung out to dry.

Is this the same idea?

Comment

Originally posted by ilbegone
                      Where does ultimate responsibility lie for the fraud which occurs?
                      It's you and me I'm afraid to say

Comment

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
                        It's you and me I'm afraid to say
                        In a sense I can agree with that, but not wholly.

Where in the chain of command does the policy of shoveling welfare to illegals while making American citizens jump through flaming hoops to get some help originate?

I know someone who used to work in the department of social services, I believe for Riverside County. She said had to quit because she couldn't take the fraud and such any more. I want to talk to her about some of the things were are discussing her when I run into her again.

I would like to be able to verify a statement she made one time that the Cal Works program came to about $8K a month for each family. I'm not sure if that is a total figure to administer the program or that is the actual cash that goes to each family or the average of such. If true, that's $96,000 a year. $46.00 an hour for a 40 hour week.

Comment

What is the family tree for Social Services, and how do they get double dipped or overlapped?

There is a vague concept I have of welfare dispensation which includes money and food stamps.

-----------------------

Welfare cases up 30% from last year in California -WSJ

------------------------

Aid to Families With Dependent Children Abolished in 1996

-------------------------

Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) -- created by the 1996 law and replaced previous welfare and jobs-training programs. Funded partly by the federal government and partly by the states, it primarily assists women who have children and no job, or a very low-paying one. The program emphasized moving recipients from welfare to work. The time limits vary by state, but the federally mandated maximum is five years with some exceptions; after that, benefits end.

The federal government's fiscal stimulus includes $5 billion for states where more families receive welfare or spending increases on employment subsidies or short-term emergency assistance. So far, only California and Ohio have received stimulus grants

A Loophole in Welfare Reform. Though many observers think that an enforceable requirement to participate in work or related activities is already part of the law, 17 states, including California and New York, allow recipients to continue to receive most welfare benefits indefinitely, even if they refuse to participate in required activities.

Interesting 2001 CalTax article concerning the failure of welfare goals in California http://www.caltax.org/member/digest/feb2001/feb01-6.htm

2000 article by Public Policy Instute of California - http://www.ppic.org/content/pubs/rb/RB_600TMRB.pdf - Has paragraph on immigration impact on welfare in California as well as paragraph concerning Calworks

------------------------

Food Stamps -- Food-stamp eligibility is significantly easier than the criteria for receiving welfare, so food-stamp assistance tends to rise first. The food-stamp program covers a much larger pool of people who have trouble making ends meet but make more money than the allowable limits under TANF. In general, a family of four must have a monthly income of less than $2,297 to qualify for food stamps. Welfare, on the other hand, is designed as a last resort.

Requirements for food stamps - http://statefoodstamps.info/foodstam...ate=California

-----------------------

CalWorks - Welfare to work program. CalWORK website http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/calworks/default.cfm

Sac Bee article Is CalWORKS costing too much? http://www.sacbee.com/capitolandcali...y/2037490.html

SWartzenegger holding press conference on CalWORKS, other programs discussed http://gov.ca.gov/speech/12761/

SSI/SSP - Supplemental Security Income / State Supplementary Program

In Home Supportive Services

Cal State website http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/PG139.htm

* Are a current recipient of Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP); or
                          * You meet all the eligibility criteria for SSI/SSP except that your income is in excess of the SSI/SSP income levels; or
                          * You meet all the eligibility criteria for SSI/SSP, including income, but do not receive SSI/SSP; or
                          * You are a Medi-Cal recipient who meets SSI/SSP disability criteria.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger approved a budget deal in February that will cut the state’s contribution to the wage of in-home care workers by $2, bringing the wage to $10.10 an hour from $12.10 an hour.

----->>>>Secretary Belshe said that “IHSS is an essential service. It provides critical support services to support seniors and people with disabilities in their home, and keep them out of more costly institutional settings.”

She noted that the caseload and costs were growing saying that “at the same time it is one of the fastest growing programs in state government. It is also a program where we have found, through documentation at the state level, at the county level, some pretty significant fraud related issues. The Governor notes, now more than ever, we have a responsibility to ensure that scarce state and county resources are being invested to support services that are legitimate, that are being provided to eligible individuals by qualified providers [IHSS workers].

Belshe said that through a combination of using information from several recent grand jury reports, discussions with several county district attorneys, and investigative efforts by the Department of Health Care Services (which oversees the state’s Medi-Cal program) that the Governor was putting forward “…a pretty aggressive comprehensive approach that is intended to do a better job at the front end, in terms of preventing fraud from occurring; do a more aggressive job in terms of detecting and ferreting out fraud that is in the system and finally ensuring that we have much strong accountability measures for recipients in the program and providers.”

The district attorney officials from the five counties – as well as the Governor and Secretary Belshe all cited several recent county grand jury reports citing major fraud and abuse in their IHSS programs. They urged” early detection” measures to combat fraud and abuse stressing the need for background checks, fingerprinting, and other requirements and tools. http://www.californiaprogressreport.com/2009/07/governor_target_1.html<<<<-------

In-home care fraud is rampant http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11318250

Senator Maldonado Criticizes Billion Dollars of Fraud in In Home Supportive Services
                          Says lack of oversight and accountability has cost taxpayers and service providers
                          http://cssrc.us/%28X%281%29A%280KqAS...ookieSupport=1

---->>>> Clients can hire whomever they want as service providers, and that’s where problems in IHSS start, said Clyde A. Boyd, San Bernardino County’s lead deputy district attorney for welfare fraud.

“People are allowed to hire their relatives,” Boyd said. “There’s complicity and massive amounts of fraud. When you hire your relatives, both parties involved want to keep the money flowing and you end up with false claims.” http://crittercollectibles.com/blog2/2009/07/08/from-the-sun-governor-targeting-public-assistance-programs-for-fraud/<<<<----

-----------------------------

WIC -- Administered by USDA, food packages http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/aboutwic/

----------------------------

Healthy families -- Health care for children ages 6-18 in Families with low and medium income between $22,068.00 and $55,128.00. Feds toss in $2.00 for every $1.00 California provides. Monthly Insurance premium paid by family between $4.00 and $17.00 per child in family. Capped at $50.00 per month for family. Preventive services, like imunizations are free. All other visits $5.00 co-pay. Oversight by Cal State Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board.

To qualify, children must be:
                          Newborns through 19th birthday
                          California residents
                          U.S. citizens, nationals or eligible qualified immigrants
                          Not eligible for no-cost Medi-Cal
                          Not covered by employer health insurance within the past 90 days

A Family can be sponsored http://www.healthyfamilies.ca.gov/Jo...onsorship.aspx

Application including Federal guidelines http://www.healthyfamilies.ca.gov/do...lications.aspx

-----------------------------

School Breakfast and Lunch programs

SPAPS -State Pharmacy Assistance Programs

PACE - Programs of all inclusive care for the elderly

-------------------------------

MediCal. Free to the poor and disabled.

Medicaid

U.S. Agencies Ratchet Up Efforts To Combat Fraud in Medicare, Medicaid http://www.californiahealthline.org/...-Medicaid.aspx

------------------------

Cal State First Five Commission - taxes on tobacco provides health and educational programs for children 1 -5 years old.
                          -----------------------------------

Subsidized housing -- HUD Section 8 Tenants pay 30% - 40% of monthly income, HUD picks up the rest. Utilities count towards gross rent (Ventura County) Federal cap on what landlords can charge for rent.

Welfare for the rich Ventura County Style http://www.change-links.org/Ventura.html

Lancaster proposes limiting Section 8 housing http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr...l/me-housing10

San Bernardino County HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM http://www.hacsb.com/section_8.htm

What is Section 8 housing? How do I report fraud? http://familyfraud.com/what-is-secti...port-fraud.htm

Farmworker housing in Ventura County built and subsidized by USDA Develoment rural funds, State of California Farm Workers housing grant funds, City and County funding, Federal money, other sources. Tenant pays 30% of income.

PHD

-----------------------------------

I believe California has something like 14% of the nation's population but 30% of the nation's welfare recipient burden.

----------------

Low Income discounts for Utilities - mandated by the state?

----------------
                          EDD programs

Worker's Comp

State disability
                          -----------------------

Unemployment benefits

Extension of unemployment benefits by Congress -- for as long as 59 weeks in some states

What have I missed?

I going to come back and add to this from time to time 8:35 pm 8-15-09
                          Last edited by ilbegone; 08-16-2009, 03:49 AM.

Comment

well, here some things relative,

An anchor baby is eligible for any and all public services, and the parents, illegal or no, manage those services whether they be cash or goods. One illegal parent 18 years old can already have 2 anchors. That means WIC, USDA food stamps, and cash. An illegal parent with even one anchor is eligible for housing if available.
                            Arnold is a big fraud on his cuts. He deliberately extended unemployment benefits to illegals during the freeze, and the again during the drought. He has absolutely no purity on placing blame for spending on the legislature.

Comment

I believe Healthy Families is being cut way back or being eliminated. The utilities gas and electric is a 20% discount each month for people receiving any of the public assistance you mentioned or have an income at the poverty level. It is called the CARE, California Alternate Rate for Energy which is regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. For the phone it's called Life Line.

Many of the public assistance programs are being deeply cut or eliminated. California hasn't seen the end of these cuts. When the borrowed money is gone so will more of these programs.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎