No announcement yet.

Corrupt jailhouse cop, Mexican Mafia

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt jailhouse cop, Mexican Mafia

Mexican Mafia figure orders hits on witnesses through corrections officer, Former deputy awaits trial.

Jury urges death penalty for George Hernandez Jr

A jury recommended the death penalty for a man convicted of carrying out a Mexican Mafia hit and ordering the killing of witnesses through a jail deputy he fell in love with.

George Anthony Hernandez Jr., 33, of Riverside, sat calmly in a navy blue suit as the court clerk read the verdict that recommended he be put to death for killing Jorge Ortiz outside a Riverside bar in 2004. Hernandez is scheduled to return to court Dec. 11 to be sentenced.

At least two jurors wiped tears from their eyes as Superior Court Judge Paul Zellerbach thanked them for making such a difficult decision.

"This is up close and personal. This is the real stuff," Zellerbach told jurors before excusing them.

Hernandez's attorney, Christian Jensen, said outside of court that he was "devastated" by the verdict.

"In 27 years of doing this I've never taken a more heart-wrenching verdict. Nobody's ever going to convince me that his life didn't have value," said Jensen, mentioning Hernandez's son.

Hernandez's family declined to comment as they walked out of the courtroom.

Ortiz's brother, Armando Ortiz, said, "If I could say one thing, it's that everybody reaps what they sow."

Deputy District Attorney Michael Hestrin and jurors could not be reached for comment after court because he was discussing the case with jurors.

After Hernandez was arrested for the murder of Ortiz, he was jailed at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside where he developed a relationship with jail deputy Angela Carol Parks.

Love letters discovered by Parks' fiance gave instructions from Hernandez on who she should call to have witnesses killed and provided witnesses' names, addresses and phone numbers.

Parks is awaiting trial on charges of conspiracy to commit murder.
Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎