No announcement yet.

Spanish Commercials At The Theater

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Commercials At The Theater

Went to the Century complex at Arden last night to watch Star Trek's latest, and amid the usual commercials pre-movie was a Coca-Cola commercial in S-Pan-Yol. Besides the ridiculous premise that there would be some spanish speakers watching a movie in english, the theme was also promoting a farm worker watching their kid grow up to be a doctor. I think it was pure propaganda aimed at softening heartstrings that might be more sympathetic to Amnesty, Dream Act, and AGJobs

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
    Went to the Century complex at Arden last night to watch Star Trek's latest, and amid the usual commercials pre-movie was a Coca-Cola commercial in S-Pan-Yol. Besides the ridiculous premise that there would be some spanish speakers watching a movie in english, the theme was also promoting a farm worker watching their kid grow up to be a doctor. I think it was pure propaganda aimed at softening heartstrings that might be more sympathetic to Amnesty, Dream Act, and AGJobs
    It's done more all the time, just another grain of the sand added one at a time until the bucket's full.

Comment

[B]Since you were at a movie I guess you could not escape it but I sure use my mute button a lot. There is a bill coming up in Sac I think on June 9th about making it all these languages LAW. It is dinner time so I will have to wait until in the morning to post it.

Comment

To this day, I have NEVER seen ANY English on SPANISH TV!

Comment

First I would have said loud and clear, "What the hell is this crap" making sure EVERYONE in the theater heard me, then I would have gone to the theater manager and asked for my money back. I'm sure there were others in that theater who agreed with you on the issue. If that same thing had happened and someone had done what I said I would do, I would applaud them as loud as I could. Even if all the others didn't agree with me, at least I would have stood up for what I believe to be right and shown that I wouldn't just sit by and take it. We need to let our voices be heard, and not let these companies gain by our silence.

Comment

Originally posted by kjl
            First I would have said loud and clear, "What the hell is this crap" making sure EVERYONE in the theater heard me, then I would have gone to the theater manager and asked for my money back. I'm sure there were others in that theater who agreed with you on the issue. If that same thing had happened and someone had done what I said I would do, I would applaud them as loud as I could. Even if all the others didn't agree with me, at least I would have stood up for what I believe to be right and shown that I wouldn't just sit by and take it. We need to let our voices be heard, and not let these companies gain by our silence.
            Had I been alone, that may have been my course; Sometimes I stop being an activist and settle in to a night out with my wife. She puts up with a lot of my sh!t already with this crusade.

Comment

I bet she does. I sometimes wonder about that. She must be a very patient person.

Comment

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
                Besides the ridiculous premise that there would be some spanish speakers watching a movie in english, the theme was also promoting a farm worker watching their kid grow up to be a doctor. I think it was pure propaganda aimed at softening heartstrings that might be more sympathetic to Amnesty, Dream Act, and AGJobs

I've seen that ad in theatres twice. Speaking only for myself, if the aim of the commercial was indeed as you described it, it didn't work.

Comment

I saw more Spanish only billboards in L.A. when I went down last week, and also all along the 99 Freeway.
                  Victim of Chelene Nightingale's internet despotism

Comment

Dallas, TX, among the BEST illegal alien refuges NATIONWIDE, has SCORES of Spanish-only billboards. My legal resident Brazilian friend has been crusading for several years now against foreign-language-only advertising in Dallas.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎