....STOP SMUD FROM SPENDING RATEPAYER MONEY ON SCIENCE CENTER BUILDING NAMING RIGHTS.......SEE THE LOCAL FOCUS CAMPAIGN SECTION.....

Go Back   Fight Back In Sac > Local Events and Campaigns > Local Focus Campaigns
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Articles Media Center Downloads Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Local Focus Campaigns This forum is for campaigns and issues Fight Back in Sac is focusing on

Welcome to the Fight Back In Sac forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Soldier

Default No On Arden Arcade Cityhood

I am advocating for a NO vote on the Arden Arcade Cityhood initiative. While I generally believe in community rule, I think it can be taken to extremes. We already have a functioning government in the county, and those who are not satisfied with it have not made any reasonable effort to address or remedy that within the normal channels first. I have not observed most of the proponents of the cityhood initiative being active in county affairs. If they weren't active in county government, why would they be good at managing a city? It is my opinion that the moving forces behind the cityhood initiative are glory seekers and financial hucksters. They want to be lelcted to a government management position, but lack the backing and experience that would give people in the county reason to vote for them, so their solution is to form a small clique where their smaller support base has more impact. I say they are not ready for the big time of municipal management, and should prove themselves in the existing arena first.

The initiative backers are not my only concern about Arden Arcade incorporation. Sacramento county needs the revenue from a large cross section of the area so it can provide the services we need. If smaller, income rich sections of the county are allowed to peel off the more lucrative income producing areas, it will leave the county devoid of funds to handle the mandated services. If the counties cannot make their mandated services, it will only be a short amount of time before the state legislature passes laws that make the cities responsible for more services, and soo the lure of cityhood will have proven fruitless. Cities across the state will then be prime targets for state revenue hunters. The county is in a much better position to stand up to state mandates, but we need the support of citizens within the county to accomplish that. Cityhoods will not have the same power base, as they will be smaller and less effective.

We can shore up our county and return it to prosperity, but we cannot do it as quickly if we divide it up and especially so if we shed the more affluent or business rich areas.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Soldier

Today marks the beginning of the mobile billboard campaign against Measure D. These pictures are from the tour:

This is from Watt and San Ysidro. I stayed here for a little over an hour this morning

Next, I went to the Whole Foods parking lot for an hour, but forgot to take a picture.

So next up was the Watt and Arden corner at the Petco/Rite Aid/Smart and Final:

Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 PM
Soldier

After about an hour or more at Watt and Arden, I moved farther down Watt to the Bowling alley for an hour:

Then, after an hour, I moved back to watt and Arden, but this time next to the old Black Angus:

Looks like we overshadowed the competition a little here:

After about an hour, I moved back down near San Ysidro and Watt, but on the opposite side. By now, the traffic up Watt was getting thick because it was between 4 and 5:00 oclock:

Last edited by AyatollahGondola : 10-20-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 PM
Soldier

I closed out the day with a tour through the neighborhood by driving down San Ysidro to the school:

I then made my way through the neighborhood to Fair Oaks Blvd. I back tracked to the one area mentioned at the end of Eastern for a half hour:

Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Soldier

Click on this picture for a short video of today's No on D Mobile Billboard Tour:

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Soldier

So I had a fairly good reception today. There were several honks and quite a few thumbs up. Some folks are paying attention anyway. There's still seems to be a lot of brain dead folks who drive by an wonder "what's that all about anyway? "

I killed time during stops by shopping (not buying unfortunately) at whichever stores I was in front of. Whole foods parking lot brought me the only thing that passed for negative feedback, where one woman said she needed me to move so she could back out. She didn't need me to move at all; in fact a big flatbed truck next to her got out with ease before her. I accomodated her just the same and then moved back. this is actually pretty mild and even boring for me. I'm used to people picking fights, threatening me, or calling the cops over whatever message is displayed on the sign.

I got quite a bit of good exposure just going between deployments. Making sweeping U turns at busy intersections.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Soldier

From Thursday's tour:

Old 10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Soldier

When I deployed at the Mira Loma High for the event, I went a little early to hopefully catch people driving by in the neighborhood. There's sporadic, but noticable amounts of locals using that street.

This woman on a bike rode by and took a piece of gum out of her mouth and tossed it at the sign. Disgusting childish behavior, although she was not a kid. I was in the truck as this happened, and she made no attempt to disguise it.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Soldier

Here's a short video of Day 2 tour
Click on the picture and watch the video:

Old 10-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Soldier

Started out the day trying to find a spot on Fulton. That's turning out to be pretty tough. Lots and lots of no parking signs. I sat in the parking lot of Target for a while, but after walking around and viewing the sign from afar, I didn't think it was a good spot. I probably drove around Fulton to marconi, back to howe, and up fair oaks to Fulton 4 times or more. Got some support and some people asking questions though.
Found a spot on Howe for a couple hours:

Here's a little video of Howe. Click on the picture below:

Next, went to whole foods for about 30 minutes, but too many cars couldn't get around the trailer, so I drove down Eastern, and then up el camino to the high school and drove around that area.

After that, found this spot on Arden, and it worked out for about two hours or more:

Later, drove down eastern and found this spot. It's got good exposure too:

Here's some video of the Walgreen's area at Las pasas and Eastern. Click on the picture below: