No announcement yet.

A Day of Action

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Day of Action

Sitting around and complaining is getting nowhere for me. I want to take action. What I am thinking is that we could plan a day where we all meet together in the morning at a certain predetermained location and from there move out to areas known for illegal day laborers and begin to observe them. From there, we would go to business owners asking if they would like our assistance removing these day laborers. They would then ask them to leave and we would assist them. If they refuse, we can place them under arrest for trespassing. We can use reasonable force in making these arrests and remove them from the area.

For people not comfortable arresting people (its part of my job so Im used to it) you can do things like stand with day laborers and when someone tries to pick them up, approach them, make them aware what they are doing is illegal and try to get them to not pick up the laborers. If they do, let them know they will be reported to law enforcement and take down their information.

In instances like this, it would be important to have at least 3 people in a group at each location in case things grow violent. My job is arresting people with warrants so I know everything from laws to self defense techniques. My partner and I would be willing to have a training day and train people on how to approach and if needed arrest people, how to defend themselves etc. and be on call to respond to help people if things got out of hand. Anyone interested in this? Respond to this post or PM me.

I think we went down this road in theory at Save Our State, and decided against it. None of us were licensed security gaurds, so you have a little up on us there. I think you'd have some issues with liability and cause. The property owner would be liable if he gave you permission to do this, and it is likely they would want to be indemnified by an insurance company like any other gaurd company would have. The other problem is budgetary. The sheriff is cash strapped like every other muni agency, and it likely to issue paper instead of taking someone in to custody for tresspass.

Comment

In retrospect, the action I proposed maybe is not likely to happen. Although technically, Im sure we could find a way to place these people under arrest, local authorities are not likely to take action because they are so stretched right now, especially in sheriff jurisdiction. However, if a agent of the business (or property owner) declared a arrest on these trespassers, he can request assistance in detainment if needed from members of the public. Same rule applies to Police Officers who can solicit members of the public to assist them if needed.

A approach more like going after the businesses that are hiring them as I have seen suggested seems more plausible. I still think taking a active approach is whats needed by confronting the business owners who are in the action of committing the crime. Thats just my view.

Also, I dont actually work in security. I go after people with warrants and arrest them. I also do a lot of work with the Sheriffs and PD on their warrants. So as opposed to security guards, my work extends outside the bounds of a single property and while working my authority, Im assuming, is much more in depth than a security officers.
      Last edited by ThomasRowbottom; 07-11-2009, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎