No announcement yet.

Ethnic Studies Ban

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Studies Ban

Last edited by lynneb67; 08-06-2009, 10:13 PM.

Yes, I saw that,

I think it was ok to have ethnic studies back when I was in K-12 because many black students didn't have close ties to their ethnic culture, what with having been separated from it forcibly and all. But Hispanics, Latinos and such certainly don't have that problem.

Comment

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
      Yes, I saw that,

I think it was ok to have ethnic studies back when I was in K-12 because many black students didn't have close ties to their ethnic culture, what with having been separated from it forcibly and all. But Hispanics, Latinos and such certainly don't have that problem.
      There should be no such thing as "ethnic" studies, it is divisive and racist.

Teach kids what they need to know, such as math, proficiency in English language, science, and a truthful history - warts and all regardless of who believes their "ethnic" cow has been gored. There is nobleness and ugly stuff in it all.

As far as a black ethic culture, I'm not sure what to think of that.

One time I was having a sociable beer in a place that that the crowd consisted of the white bartender, white me, and four black guys playing pool.

The place had an internet jukebox, and I was showing the bartender where rock and roll came from, playing the music of the black patron's great and great -great grandparents. Music from Bessie Smith, Robert Johnson, and the like. Then a couple of beer reps came in and got weird looks on their faces. They didn't understand the music, and doesn't black music consist of "gangsta" rap?

The black guys didn't really know what to make of it either. The old Monty Python joke that the blues is black American music played by British musicians to white American audiences.

Comment

If it is racist to celebrate WHITE NON-Hispanic European culture, it is racist to celebrate ANY OTHER!

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎