Still America?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still America?

Still America?

A thoughtful opinion By Mary Ann Rohde in the San Bernardino County Sun 9-27-09.

Still America?

I have seen a lot of changes throughout my life and not too many of them have been for the good.

What has happened to our country? I find that I now fear for my safety when I write letters to the editor because my views on certain issues are not the same as other certain people. I happen to believe that our borders must be secure and that our laws must be enforced. We are supposed to be a country of laws. Is this still America?

We have children killing children. We have children giving birth to children. We have parents who are afraid of their own children. We have children who have no pride in themselves or respect for others and other people's property. They destroy property, they spray paint their graffiti, and even mutilate their own bodies.

We have parents who refused to let their children hear President Obama's speech to children returning to school. I personally find this a national disgrace.

We have parents who do not want schools to teach sex education or birth control. Yet these same parents do not teach their children about the true facts of life, which leads to numerous out-of-wedlock births that get placed on our welfare rolls.

Again, I ask, is this still America?

Parents need to take an interest in their children, and I am not referring to showing up at an occasional sports event. I mean joining the PTA, seeing that homework is finished, that children go to school looking presentable and have respect for the teacher and the learning process.

In my neighborhood, people were afraid to put their mail in the mailbox because it was getting stolen. So the Post Office installed a neighborhood mail box, and that was graffitied and eventually was stolen.

What has happened to America?

There was once a time when America was the envy of the world. If we do not go back to our morals, self-respect and respect of others, our America will soon be lost.

MARY ANN ROHDE
    Rialto
    This opinion by Mary Ann Rohde does not indicate affiliation with or endorsement of any organization or cause.
    Last edited by ilbegone; 09-27-2009, 01:37 PM.

Asking a question is easy. Wonder if Mary is active in her government.

Comment

Would Mary's government be responsive to her?

[As responsive to her as it is to the rest of us?]
      Last edited by ilbegone; 09-27-2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Sometimes it's HARD to tell WHERE in the world we are anymore!

Comment

I think government get more conscious now .

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎