Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATM card skimmers

ATM card skimmers

90 people are victims of ATM card skimmers in High Desert

Thieves using ATM card skimmers have stolen money from at least 90 people in the High Desert during the past several weeks, sheriff's officials said.

San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies suspect accounts at Desert Community Bank, Alaska Federal Credit Union and Arrowhead Credit Union have been compromised due to the scheme.

Deputies have noticed a spike in thefts involving the fraudulent use of ATM cards in Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville and other areas of the High Desert. Investigators discovered thieves are using a card-skimming device placed on the outside of an ATM. The device captures information from the card's magnetic strip. They also used binoculars or video cameras to watch people enter their personal identification number or PIN.

The thieves then created clone cards to withdraw money from San Bernardino banks.

Deputies suggest the following tips:

- Inspect ATMs for unusual devices. If you are not sure if the device is legitimate, don't use it and report it to your bank.

- Cover your typing hand with your other hand while entering your PIN.

- Check your account balance and bank statements frequently. Report any suspicious activity on your account to your bank.

Anyone who may have been victimized in the High Desert ATM thefts may call sheriff's Detective Dave Burgess, (760) 240-7000.

As technology increases and expands, and the economy of individuals shrinks, I gotta wonder just how long plastic cards are going to a useful tool at all. I used to take credit cards at my business, but abandoned it because enough people misused them and it affected my income. You not only have frauds out there stealing cards, but also the card issuers and processing companies tilt the rules so the businesses accepting them absorb more of the losses due to cheats. The card companies also give themselves more "outs" to reverse money that was sent to the business when a client card holder reneges on a purchase.
    I dumped the system. I was getting it from both sides, and the card companies were writing my return policy for those who used plastic

Comment

Because of THIS nonsense, I have NEVER had a credit card and likely never WILL!

Comment

Well I have credit cards, got my first one in 1967. I wasn't even 18 yet, and probably the only one of my classmates to have one. It was a MasterCard. I was also given a car by my boyfriend when I was 15, and had to hide it from my mother. She was concerned that I didn't have insurance and they could sue us for our house is something bad should happen. She was right, but at 15 I didn't really care.

I have yet to get an ATM card, and have never used one. I have managed my whole life without one, so I guess I'm doing fine. I don't have a cell phone either. So far I've never needed one. I have been given one by my employer, but found it annoying when I was driving and it would ring. Even before it was illegal to drive and talk on it, I would stop and pull over before talking to someone on the cell.

If I had my choice I'd rather have someone pump my gas and check my oil, deliver my milk, dairy and bakery, use a pay phone and have TV for free than all the other things that we have instead. But not the internet, I do enjoy that.

We're being taxed and transformed into a society that requires we work for all the toys and will have little time to enjoy them. I would prefer to have the time and not the toys.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎