....STOP SMUD FROM SPENDING RATEPAYER MONEY ON SCIENCE CENTER BUILDING NAMING RIGHTS.......SEE THE LOCAL FOCUS CAMPAIGN SECTION.....

Go Back   Fight Back In Sac > Local Events and Campaigns > Local Focus Campaigns
Register FAQForum Rules Members List Calendar Articles Media Center Downloads Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Local Focus Campaigns This forum is for campaigns and issues Fight Back in Sac is focusing on

Welcome to the Fight Back In Sac forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Soldier

these were taken on 11-10-08. Note that these are the same vendors week after week. It is not possible that the EMD or code enforcement has followed through with siezing equipment as been reported before. look closely at the equipment and you'll see this appears to be the same equipment week after week.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Soldier

Saturday 11-15-08 the same crews back at the same location. there is no excuse for code enforcement missing the boat here

Old 11-20-2008, 12:40 AM
New Registrant

I don't run across too many prepared/hot food vendors in My area, but most Inspectors use regular County cars, so at the most all They can do is cite the Offender, and confiscate the food, and maybe get pics.
They'd say that confiscation of Their gear would require towing/manpower, and storage, true, but no excuse.
That just means restocking, and maybe relocating.
The "red" BBQ van (which looks to be white) is parked backed-in and lic. plates covered, He looks like he's been popped, and knows the game..
The outfit with the green ford truck is really blatant, are They possibly related to the Mexican butchershop in the same mall?
If the truck is being used in the commision of a crime, would'nt that be another way of getting This shut down?
I wonder what the liability to the Owners of the properties are?

Well, my new seasonal nemesises are...orange sellers.
And They've got a new tactic, get this, They pretend They don't see, or hear You...or They're all really high? Very weird tactic, probably setting up a situation so that They can call for the cops, especially if enough "tolerant" north bayers see the commotion.
These Guys have 20-30 25lb, and 50lb sacks, so They are'nt carrying these in on their backs, I'm trying to get the truck/van that's bringing them in.
Sad part is, that these Guys can't just leave, yet the Cops don't/won't do anything to enforce it's own, and county laws.
At least My County Ag. told Me if I got the plates They'd would pursue the main-Man, and the source of the fruit, and then pigs might be also given the gift of flight as well...

CB.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Soldier

Illegal vendors weekday operators observed today 11/20/08. Both of these are operating at the same intersection of 12th ave & franklin Blvd

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM
New Registrant

I like the "custom" cabinet door pulls/knob on the side of the fruit Vendors rig in the last pic...Oh, it's made of wood...that in itself is a violation of the health & safety codes.
If it's around food, whether storage, or serving, it's gotta be metal, or polyethylene.
It does look like the owner tried to paint it to resemble metal though.

CB.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyatollahGondola View Post
Just the sight of the dirty cart with 'food' in it makes me want to chunder...

Calguns.net OpenCarry.org
ronpaul2008.com
constitutionparty.com
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Soldier

Here's another county that takes the issue of illegal vendors seriously

http://www.southernnevadahealthdistr...al-vendors.htm

Quote:
Illegal Vendors

Illegal vendors include any person selling any type of food without a health permit and business license. This can occur from a residence, a vehicle, a shopping cart, a table in a park or on a street corner.

Street vendors typically stand on a neighborhood street corner with bags of fruits and vegetables. With the exception of swap meets and farmers' markets, street vendors are illegal everywhere in Clark County.

While purchasing from these illegal vendors is a health risk, the real danger is that by purchasing from street vendors you may be enabling human trafficking and slavery.

During routine investigation into illegal vendors, the health district and law enforcement uncovered a disturbing fact these street vendors have been sold into slavery by handlers or 'coyotes' who illegally bring them to the United States. Health district inspectors have found victims as old as 88 and young as thirteen.

The health district is working with Metro and the Anti-Trafficking League Against Slavery to identify and rescue these victims of human trafficking.

To report an illegal vendor call the Environmental Health Department at
(702) 759-0523.

For more information on the Anti-Trafficking League Against Slavery visit their website at www.humantrafficking.org.

Email Environmental Health
Old 12-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Soldier

And another

Quote:
Authorities target illegal street vendors

By Stephen Wall, Staff Writer

Rafael Guerrero's office is a sun-drenched sidewalk.
He makes a living hawking oranges, mangoes, strawberries and cherries to passing motorists and pedestrians.

On a good day, he'll make $30. Most days, he earns $20.

"I don't like it very much, but I can't find work anywhere else,' said Guerrero, who arrived in the United States a month ago from Mexico. "The day I find something else, I won't do this. But until then, I have to feed myself.'

Guerrero, 27, is one of a growing number of illegal vendors scratching out a living on street corners and sidewalks in San Bernardino County.

Cities and counties are cracking down on the practice, launching sweeps and beefing up code enforcement operations.

While some sympathize with the vendors, others wish they would go away.

"It's a huge problem in the county,' said Randy Rogers, the county's code enforcement chief. "We're putting all the resources we have into it. This is a problem that's been around for many years. It's not going to go away.'

Colton is considering hiring an additional code enforcement officer whose job would include patrolling city streets on weekends in search of illegal vendors.

"We need to clean up our city,' said Councilman Richard De La Rosa, who proposed hiring the additional officer. "We're not going to tolerate illegal fruit and flower vendors on street corners.'

De La Rosa said vendors create problems when motorists pull over to buy something and block traffic. Because they don't have access to a bathroom, they relieve themselves on the grass or behind a bush on someone's property, he said.

The vendors also don't pick up their trash at the end of the day, De La Rosa said.

Business owners complain the street vendors are depriving them of revenue.

"When you have people who are allowed to be on street corners who don't have business licenses and don't have to pay taxes, it's not fair at all,' said Lisa Payne, a designer for Something Special Florist in Colton. "It's not fair they aren't held to the same standards we are.'

Because the vendors have no overhead, insurance or worker's compensation costs, they can sell their flowers cheaper than legitimate shops, Payne said.

In order to operate legally, a business owner needs to obtain a business license with the city or county and a health permit for food sales.

Cities such as Fontana don't allow any kind of street vending, with the exception of parades, festivals and special events.

"The activity these folks are engaged in is illegal in and of itself,' said Ted Porlas, Fontana's community improvement manager. "You just can't do it.'

Porlas said vendors selling hot corn on the cob from a push cart carry mayonnaise, cheese and butter that has been in the sun without refrigeration. The person preparing the food doesn't follow proper sanitation procedures, leading to the possibility of food-borne illnesses, Porlas said.

"It's completely unhealthful,' Porlas said.

When an illegal vendor is caught, authorities will cite the offender with a promise to appear in court. Making matters more complicated, vendors typically carry no identification and often provide a different name each time they are picked up.

If the offender fails to appear in court, a warrant is issued for his arrest.

"It's better than 50 percent who don't show up in court,' Rogers said. "I've personally caught the same person four times. A big majority are repeat offenders.'

When an illegal vendor is caught, the equipment and merchandise is confiscated and kept as evidence until the court case is closed. Perishable food items are photographed before being destroyed, Porlas said.

Many vendors are not legal residents, but local authorities say they don't concern themselves with immigration status, which they say is a federal matter.

"It would be too much of a financial drain on the cities to enforce that,' De La Rosa said. "You're talking about taking a police officer off the streets in Colton to take the illegal immigrant to the immigration-detention center in San Bernardino. It's not a very smart use of our resources. We'd rather keep our police officers on high-priority calls such as burglary and assault.'

Fontana performs periodic sweeps, sometimes in conjunction with county officials, to crack down on illegal vendors in the city and neighboring unincorporated areas, Porlas said. One sweep will net 20 to 25 people, he said.

San Bernardino has an ordinance prohibiting sales from a temporary location.

Like other government agencies, the city tries to vary the hours of its enforcement operations to catch unsuspecting vendors.

"We've been aggressively pursuing it the past two years,' said Deputy City Attorney Jolena Grider. "It's gone down considerably, but we still get quite a few.'

San Bernardino catches 10 to 20 illegal street vendors a week, Grider said.

As hard as they try, however, officials realize they will never eliminate the problem.

"As long as there are places that aren't enforcing it or don't have laws against it, it's not going to stop,' Grider said. "It will exist unless everyone works to eradicate it.'

Vendors such as Juan Velasquez don't think there is anything wrong with selling on the street.

"I'm just trying to work,' said Velasquez, 21, who was selling fruit in Colton on Sunday after arriving from Mexico a month ago. "I'm not stealing from anybody.'

If he didn't have any customers, Velasquez said, he wouldn't be in business.

"I don't see any problem with them being here trying to make a living selling fruit,' said customer Raymond Galvan, 66, who bought a bag of cherries. "The fruit is good. It's not spoiled. I like the oranges better here than at Stater Bros."
http://www.sbsun.com/Stories/0%2C141...1403%2C00.html
Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Soldier

January 17th, 2009. The vendors still market their goods illegally, unsafely, and without interference from authorities. Crime pays here in Sac County

Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Soldier

Illegal vendor 1-17-09