No announcement yet.

Smokers Find Refuge

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokers Find Refuge

West Sacramento bar owner tells state of California where to stick their no smoking laws
    This bar owner would rather fight than switch. California outlaws smoking in restaurants, bars, and well, just about everywhere, but one militant bar owner here boldly bucks the system

You know,... I dont smoke- but I support individual freedom and private enterprise. This proprietor should be able to run his business and cater to the clientele he chooses- A big thumbs up for advertizing his defiance.

I just hope 'the man' doesnt yank his business license for his disobedience.
    Enjoy Freedom? Get off your ass and do something to preserve it then.

Calguns.net OpenCarry.org
    ronpaul2008.com
    constitutionparty.com

Comment

Originally posted by CitaDeL
      You know,... I dont smoke- but I support individual freedom and private enterprise. This proprietor should be able to run his business and cater to the clientele he chooses- A big thumbs up for advertizing his defiance.

I just hope 'the man' doesnt yank his business license for his disobedience.
      Agreed.

As an ex-smoker, I'm all for people quitting the habit, but when government closes in on legal private business, it goes too far. Most of these type of places have an out door patio area anyway.
      With the price of cigarettes going through the roof, I suspect more will quit, which is a good thing overall.

Comment

There's no reason that bars cannot filter or exhaust their air like many manufacturing and research labs do. The indoor shooting ranges have them also, and the smell of burnt gunpowder is more acrid than tobacco, yet you don't get overwhelmed by that in those. There seems to be a concerted effort to hurt the tobacco industry, and I've always wondered why them. Alcohol does far more damage to people as a second hand facilitator, and yet the same forces that attack tobacco don't apply their logic at wine, beer, and scotch. I've always thought there was something more behind the anti- tobacco/smoking campaign than what appears on the surface. The motivation I mean

Comment

Originally posted by localboy
          I've always thought there was something more behind the anti- tobacco/smoking campaign than what appears on the surface. The motivation I mean
          Oh there is. Its the legislation of morality in opposition to vice. But like prohibition, you will only drive the market underground. This smokers bar is just an overt version of a speakeasy.
          Enjoy Freedom? Get off your ass and do something to preserve it then.

Calguns.net OpenCarry.org
          ronpaul2008.com
          constitutionparty.com

Comment

Indoor smoking bill lives

CARSON CITY, Nev. -- A plan to roll back a voter-approved ban on smoking in public places died weeks ago in the Nevada Legislature, but lobbyists for the gambling and tourism industries are using the last few days of the 2009 session to try to bring it back to life.

Comment

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
              This may fly in Navada, but not California.

Comment

I know a bar that it used to be whenever the door was opened the smoke would boil outside and you almost couldn't see the bar four feet from the door.

The owner said that the law could go to hell and that it was a smoking bar - nothing would change in that place. That is until she was hauled up in front of the judge. Next day there was a large sign on the back mirror which said in big letters NO SMOKING, and there was a crowd of the regulars standing outside smoking, bitching about "having their rights infringed on" and that they they weren't going to patronize the place anymore.

Over a year later, the regulars still show up every day (they never stopped showing up) and continue to go outside to smoke. They've stopped bitching. And the place smells much better.

I rather like the smoking laws. While I believe most smokers do try to be courteous, It is not some one else's right to blow smoke on me, and in an enclosed area there is no escaping the smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by localboy
                  I've always thought there was something more behind the anti- tobacco/smoking campaign than what appears on the surface. The motivation I mean
                  No disrespect intended towards anyone, but smoking is a filthy habit. I don't understand how anyone can force themselves past all the initial discomfort, and I don't think I've ever been around a smoker who wouldn't privately admit that he wished he'd never taken up smoking.

As far as the public anti-smoking campaign, I don't believe it's entirely about public health. I believe quite a few people who would banish cigarette smokers from the planet earth are pro-Marijuana legalization. I have never seen a pot laced brownie, but a lot of bongs have hove into my near vision. I believe that Pot smoke can be just as damaging to the lungs as cigarette smoke. On the other hand, I've never seen anyone suck down a joint and immediately reach for another one to add up to as many as fifty a day, which doesn't quite add up to the smoke of two and a half packs of cigarettes.

Nor is pot generally smoked in public and blown all over complete strangers. It's been said that it depends on circumstances as to whether pot is illegal, and if one insists on firing up on the hood of a cop car, it is probably going to be a violation of the law.

Apples and oranges?
                  Last edited by Coso Kid; 06-03-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

i would agree that most pot smokers don't like cigarette smokers. there's some hypocrisy there, but then again, look who were talking about.

I don't see the harm in declaring a place as "smoking". It seems to me that if fair notice is given, then people are free to enter or go to that which is not designated "smoking"
                    When we were in canada about 10 years ago, it was kind of culture shock when the waitress asked "smoking or non"?

I used to smoke, but quit when the first kid was born. I don't mind the second hand smoke generally, but a smelly ash tray on a humid or rainy day isn't very appealing. I have neighbors that smoke weed daily, and it is always drifting in the house. Don't care for that, and we've had some words over it twice.

Comment

I believe that if a place is public access it should be non smoking. Quite some years ago I used to take a "real good nickle cigar" into public access places where cigarette smoking was practiced way beyond an admittedly subjective acceptable level. If someone blew smoke on me, I'd fire it up and return the favor. Then guess who the "A-hole" was? The term of hypocrisy can be somewhat relative, because most cigarette smokers have a bigger objection to second hand cigar smoke than they do concerning any enforced public regulations which prohibit smoking cigarettes within confined spaces with public access.

It has been some years since smoking was allowed in California restaurants. I remember some occasions while dining in restaurants in Texas and Arizona since then that my dining experience was ruined due to second hand smoke wafting over my table. It didn't matter if there was a separate section with the invisible demarcation line separating the sections or if the source was in the adjacent booth, there was and is no escaping pervasive and invasive second hand smoke.

It doesn't matter what the source of publicly invasive second hand smoke is, nor whether the ingested substance is legal or not. It should not be forced on the public in places of public access, and a place of business is public access. Nor should second hand smoke be invasive of private sanctuaries, such as a neighbor's residence.

And my parents were chain gun smokers, far more obnoxious and pushy about their nasty habit than most of perhaps the worst of "normal" smokers. I had enough second hand smoke by the time I was ten years old to last me the rest of my life.
                      Last edited by Coso Kid; 06-03-2009, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Now you've done it,
                        I'm craving a smooth cigar..

We need a smoking Smilie here.....

Comment

Originally posted by AyatollahGondola
                          Now you've done it,
                          I'm craving a smooth cigar..

We need a smoking Smilie here.....

Touche.

Comment

my birthday is coming up. I better drop a few hints. get out the ole' cigar tip cutter....

Comment

And wipe out the humidor too.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎